- Current Soldiers
- Officer Programs
When you join the Guard, you create a world where goals are within your grasp. Though it will not be easy, the challenges laid forth by the Guard are ultimately for your benefit; to overcome and succeed in all that you do.
Get a degree with money for school, learn job skills that translate to the civilian world, make bonds that last a lifetime and earn pride for life. When you become a National Guard Soldier, your family will thank you, your country will thank you and your future will give back to you. Here are some examples of the benefits to be taken advantage of after enlistment:
- Insurance: We take care of our Soldiers and their families. You will have access to affordable health care, dental care and life insurance benefits.
- Education: If you plan on attending college, trade school, or apprenticeship, you could be eligible to receive money for tuition and other school expenses. These benefits combined more than cover the cost of tuition, books, and fees at most Michigan colleges and universities.
- Retirement: After 20+ years of service, you will have a great nest egg upon retirement. Payments will begin when you reach age 60. The average Soldier accrues at least 2,627 points with more than 26 years of service. Refer to our payout chart under Pay & Benefits in the Current Soldiers tab for further details.
Fly for free
As a Guard Soldier, you fly for free on military transportation within and between continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam and Puerto Rico, whenever space is available.
National Guard members and families can enjoy privileges at military installations around the world. Benefits include tax free, unlimited discount shopping at any Military Exchange (department store) and commissary (grocery store). To include even some popular locations like Home Depot, Lowes, and Old Navy. Other base privileges include:
- Discount lodging, cabins, and campsites (available on most installations)
- Camping equipment and sports activity gear for loan and rent
- Craft, automotive and hobby shops offer tools and space to work on personal projects
Vacation Resort Benefits
You and your family can use accommodations designed specifically for military families. Current facilities are located at Disney World in Florida, Hawaii, Germany and Korea. The cost is usually half of normal rates. To include, access to The Military Vacations for Families from Armed Forces Vacation Club (AFVC) is a "Space Available" program that offers military and other Department of Defense affiliated personnel the opportunity to enjoy vacations at popular destinations around the world for the incredibly low price of $349 USD per unit, per week.
Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Camp Grayling
Visiting units are encouraged to use the many Morale, Welfare and recreational facilities. Soldiers can rent recreation equipment free of charge from the boat house located on the shore of Lake Margrethe. Many services available on post are free of charge as well, like the laundromat and fitness center. The Camp Grayling Commissary carries a wide range of items for Soldiers to purchase and it is within walking distance from barracks. The City of Grayling also offers a variety of year round activities like skiing and golfing. Camp Grayling also offers a wide array of lodging options.
The NCO and Officer Club offers a relaxing environment for Soldiers to enjoy a meal, unwind after a day of training, or host an event. The Camp Grayling Officer's Club was built in 1917 and has since served as the focal point for the social and formal functions of the Michigan National Guard Officer Corps.
The Camp Grayling Campground is located on the perimeter of Camp Grayling's main post near the south end of Lake Margarethe. Campground features include:
- WiFi access
- 70 wooded campsites accommodating tents, popup campers, trailers and larger motor homes
- 20 settings have water and electrical (remaining sites are full services hookups)
- Playground for younger campers
- Recently renovated bath house
- Pavilion for groups